[Pearpc-devel] User-mode networking
Arthur Norman
2006-10-06 20:19:22 UTC
Has anybody else considered putting user-mode networking into pearpc? Both
basilisk and qemu do it using slirp, and the code to interface to slirp
does not look as if it is TOO lengthy. I am starting to see if I can see
how to link it in, but if somebody else has already done that or knows the
network code enough that it would be trivial for them to di it that would
save me wasting my time. On those other systems I find User Mode
networking "just works" while tun/tap stuff is messier to set up... I
guess also if anybody knows of a wiki or more documentation about slirp
and its use that could help me. Arthur
Jens von der Heydt
2006-10-07 20:36:38 UTC
slirp.sf.net says:

Slirp works on most Unix platforms, including:

Linux glibc and libc5 systems
Solaris 2.x
OSF/1
or any Unix that can compile GNU autoconf'ed programs with GCC.

I guess that solution rules out windows. Isn't there something better?

Jens
slirp
Brian A. Onn
2006-10-07 22:11:17 UTC
Post by Jens von der Heydt
[...]
I guess that solution rules out windows. Isn't there something better?
Jens
I'd rather improve the Tun/Tap solution and make it specific for the
needs of pearpc, myself. There is no reason why we need to say "go get
Tun/Tap for windows and install it, we'll wait here until you get back"

I've always felt that PearPC should include needed components from
Tun/Tap networking and install it as part of the pearpc installation
process too. That way, it just works out of the box.

I'll suggest that I take this task of improving the networking for
PearPC then. I'll have the time again to start working more actively on
the project starting in about 2 weeks when my current paid project finishes.

Cheers!
-- Brian