[Pearpc-devel] We need to do something
Jens von der Heydt
2005-10-21 23:32:46 UTC

I just visited Prasys' Website. you know, the guy that publishes
custom builds of PearPC.
One of the description was this:

Improved Cuda Patch + Improved Right Mouse Support + New AltiVec Code
(CPU_PVR) Support ,
AltiVec (G4) + + Scroll Whell Support + Auto Redraw Function + ISO
CD Fix by guru3 + 2nd IDE Controller
+ Remote Desktop fixes + Tiger compatible + New “Panic Message” +
Spare Disk Image support
+ CRC32 (Networking) fix

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just half of those patches sound like we
should include them
in an official build, right?

Jens
Daniel Foesch
2005-10-22 01:54:55 UTC
Improved Cuda Patch: I looked into it, no one seems to really have the
patch anymore, it got lost in some HD failure or something
Improved Right Mouse Support: this has more to do with a .KEXT for OSX
to allow it to support the extra mouse buttons
New AltiVec Code (CPU_PVR) support: this would likely be a good one,
as it probably takes care of the FreeScale G4 crashes we've been
seeing
Scroll Whell Support: this is (correct me if I'm wrong) just a hack
where if you roll the scroll wheel up or down it sends a page up or
down request to the OS (key press, not real scroll wheel support)
Auto Redraw Function: possibly a good idea, its impact would have to
be discussed
ISO CD Fix by guru3: haven't heard of this one
2nd IDE Controller: this should be taken
Remote Desktop fixes: these need to be evaluated to see if they
correct the *nix SDL support or keep it broken, if they don't fix the
*nix SDL support, then they should be rejected until they're
compatible with a fix that makes *nix SDL support work.
Tiger compatible: I figure this is the DVD-ROM support that I effected
New "Panic Message": dunno what this is
Spare Disk Image support: We don't want to officially support a sparce
disk image format right now
CRC32 (Networking) fix: this was also something we wanted to pick up.

Can someone get a hold of prasys, and see what patches he has
available for this stuff, and what known issues that they might have,
and deep information like that (like Scroll Wheel = mouse to keyboard
hack)
Hi,
Daniel Foesch
Max Jakub Ried
2005-10-22 07:51:26 UTC
ISO CD Fix by guru3:
Kind of change CD button. It enables you to change the CD at runtime.

Scroll Wheel:
If it was an PgeUp, PgeDown, it would be great. But it's just Up, Down.

Auto Redraw:
It's my patch and I do NOT want it to be included, because it does
nothing. It was supposed to change the redraw interval if the Client
OS changes the vsync frequency. But it does not work. I guess it
depends on a timer for picture refreshing which is created once at
initialization time and can not be changed during runtime.

Max Ried
guru3
2005-10-22 08:06:40 UTC
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1188923&group_id=108675&atid=651197
It's on the patches page.
Jens von der Heydt
2005-10-22 08:29:13 UTC
Post by guru3
Post by Daniel Foesch
ISO CD Fix by guru3: haven't heard of this one
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=1188923&group_id=108675&atid=651197
It's on the patches page.
Yes, I know that most of those additions are available on the patches
page but I do
ask myself why people want those patches included. There's a reason why
prasys includes them.

Some of them are not PearPC-conform in the way that they don't
emulate the hardware
like they should do it.

This was more a message like "Look what's they are doing to use it
while we have
no release".

Jens
Daniel Foesch
2005-10-23 06:03:46 UTC
Post by Jens von der Heydt
Yes, I know that most of those additions are available on the patches
page but I do
ask myself why people want those patches included. There's a reason why
prasys includes them.
People who are using PearPC generally don't give much interest in the
stability of their builds. They just want the "hottest" binaries. I
don't particularly think there's anything wrong with radical patch
releases, and such. They produce some of the most interesting ideas,
that the mainstream line wouldn't have thought of.

So, prasys includes these patches because people ask for them. But
we're under no such requirement in the official source to support
them, especially when they break spec or make PearPC (more) buggy.
Post by Jens von der Heydt
Some of them are not PearPC-conform in the way that they don't
emulate the hardware
like they should do it.
This was more a message like "Look what's they are doing to use it
while we have
no release".
They would be doing this even if we did make a release. Some people
demand solutions before their time is ready, such as the scroll-wheel
support. Whe we can support this stuff correctly, it'll make it into
the official branch, but meanwhile, people want features.

Daniel Foesch
Jens von der Heydt
2005-10-22 08:31:46 UTC
Post by Daniel Foesch
[...]
Yes, like I said in my previous post, some of those "patches" break
more than they repair or they are just too way off of the standards,
but some sound interesting and if the Prasys Builds work with
them, we should consider re-testing some patches.
(exclude the mouse and spare-thing from that list)

Jens
Paraemswaran Pradeesh
2005-10-22 10:07:33 UTC
Hello ,

I have just made minor tweaks , yes they break a lot. In fact on certain cases , they even make PearPC even buggy. Thats why some people have said before , that Tiger ISOs does not install correctly , it just works fine with the standard CVS Build. For your information , I have edited Lars' Mouse ScrollWheel patch ,(only in win32) , but again it causes more trouble and i have uncomment those stuff in my build (i would love to post the exact .patch file , but it seems that i forget to backup stuff when i got my new HD (i sold off my old one). Again , I'm certainly i would help you out to find the exact patches (if i have the time , and i might even find the bugs caused by lars' patch)

Thank you

P.S - thanks guru3 for letting me know about this matter

---------------------------------
Paraemswaran Pradeesh
2005-10-22 10:21:09 UTC
One of the reasons why i do create all the add-ons patches , is to capture people's attention. Seriously , lately after the new discovery of "OSX x86 on Clones" , made people dump pearpc because of lack of sound support and slow speed. What they want is OSX with all the extras !. Seriously , thats what I'm trying to promote PearPC. I just want to tell them that PearPC is a better way to emulate OSX , as its legal (vs OSX86)

Thats all , and I hope the community and the devs will understand my hops for the pearpc project

Keep it up , guys @!

---------------------------------
Max Jakub Ried
2005-10-22 13:05:43 UTC
Hmm,
why do you all dislike the sparse disk support? It's great. It works
as fast as the classic image support and provides a very easy way for
such imagefiles.
I'd like it being included.

Max Ried - bot47
________________________________
Daniel Foesch
2005-10-23 06:06:15 UTC
Post by Max Jakub Ried
Hmm,
why do you all dislike the sparse disk support? It's great. It works
as fast as the classic image support and provides a very easy way for
such imagefiles.
I'd like it being included.
Max Ried - bot47
It's not really a matter of disliking the patch. Sebastian has
expressed concern about the necessity for the patch, and I don't think
that is unwarranted.

The patch remains available and one can still apply it to the official
source at anytime, but at this time, we have apprehensions about
including it, so we're just going to hold off on folding it in. Note,
this isn't like the Lars' Speed Hack, where we're actively working to
stop people from using the patch. We're merely saying that we would
like to hold off on this feature in the official source for awhile.

Daniel Foesch
Jens von der Heydt
2006-05-30 17:13:19 UTC
Post by Paraemswaran Pradeesh
One of the reasons why i do create all the add-ons patches , is to
capture people's attention. Seriously , lately after the new
discovery of "OSX x86 on Clones" , made people dump pearpc because
of lack of sound support and slow speed. What they want is OSX with
all the extras !. Seriously , thats what I'm trying to promote
PearPC. I just want to tell them that PearPC is a better way to
emulate OSX , as its legal (vs OSX86)
Thats all , and I hope the community and the devs will understand
my hops for the pearpc project
Just because we don't release anything one shouldn't think of the
project as being dead.
I'm constantly working on it... it's just that nothing is ready or
other changes turn out to be bad
so I don't publish anything. I'm doing jitc_64, sometimes debugging
hwmmu and still
researching gfx accel.

Jens
Jens von der Heydt
2006-05-30 17:17:20 UTC
Post by Jens von der Heydt
[...]
Lol, just noticed that the email was from 2005. sorry about that.

Jens
Simon Biber
2006-05-31 00:20:21 UTC
Post by Jens von der Heydt
Post by Jens von der Heydt
Just because we don't release anything one shouldn't think of the
project as being dead.
I'm constantly working on it... it's just that nothing is ready or
other changes turn out to be bad
so I don't publish anything. I'm doing jitc_64, sometimes debugging
hwmmu and still
researching gfx accel.
Lol, just noticed that the email was from 2005. sorry about that.
Don't apologise; it's nice to know you are still working on stuff. In a
few weeks time I will have finished university, and may have some time
to look at the PearPC source and possibly contribute something.

I've been doing a lot of C++ programming lately, working with the
Half-Life 2 SDK to create a bot control server.

Simon.