[Pearpc-devel] Re: [Pearpc-users] PearPC 0.4 compile error
Sebastian Biallas
2006-01-10 01:51:44 UTC
I've a problem on my Ubuntu 5.10 AMD64 box, compiling PearPC 0.4.
First I've executed the configure script.
./configure successful.
[...]
The next step was to call the Makefile.
make
crc32.cc:109: error: cast from ‘const byte*’ to ‘uint32’ loses precision
make[3]: *** [crc32.o] Error 1
Any suggestion?
Yes:

First of all: build a x86 version of pearpc (i.e. not a x86_64 but a
32bit version) . It can make use of the just-in-time compiler and is
much faster (and might resolve this issue).

Second: (this is not your problem but ours) Who wrote this code? What
the hell is this? There are much much better ways to resolve alignment
issues... Patch anyone?

Third: We should on default try to configure for x86 even on x86_64. I
have no idea how Linux and gcc works with x86_64 so any hints are welcome.

Sebastian
Jens von der Heydt
2006-01-10 06:38:27 UTC
Post by Sebastian Biallas
The next step was to call the Makefile.
make
crc32.cc:109: error: cast from ‘const byte*’ to ‘uint32’ loses precision
make[3]: *** [crc32.o] Error 1
Any suggestion?
Third: We should on default try to configure for x86 even on x86_64. I
have no idea how Linux and gcc works with x86_64 so any hints are welcome.
Sebastian
I'm building on AMD64, SuSE 9.3 here, and am usually resolving
this problem by simply adding "-m32" to LDFLAGS, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS.

I already posted this onto the list but the message didn't arrive
here. Strange.

Jens